Senior Software Developer
Closing date: Ongoing
About Senior Software Developer
Lhasa Limited, Granary Wharf House, 2 Canal Wharf, Holbeck, Leeds LS11 5PS
What is the role?
We have an exciting opportunity for you if you are a highly motivated developer with a passion for technological innovation to join the Lhasa Software Delivery team.
You will produce web-based and desktop applications that will typically be used by pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies to form an integral part of their drug discovery and regulatory submissions.
As part of small agile teams working with cutting edge software, you will design, implement and enhance software products within the Life Sciences domain.
Why Lhasa Limited?
Lhasa Limited is a successful not-for-profit company and educational charity, with an enviable reputation for collaborative scientific development.
We develop meaningful science and software that supports the delivery of life-enhancing solutions which make a positive contribution to a reduction in animal testing, speeding up the time to bring cancer medication to market and assisting in the research for the Covid vaccine.
Our charitable status enables us to make altruistic decisions for the public benefit and to work with some of the leading organisations in the world to really make a difference.
Our salaries are competitive dependent upon skills and experience. We also We also offer fantastic personal benefits including (but not limited t!); 34 days holiday plus bank holidays, a generous pension scheme, healthcare cashback, PMI and much more.
Join us if you want your career to make a positive impact for yourself and others.
- Software Development
- Develop and support web-based and desktop software applications and components for use within the Life Sciences domain, on time and to the required quality
- Work on the clarification and implementation of requirements and acceptance criteria
- Produce estimates (high-level and detailed) for development work
- Maintain a high standard of code and documentation
- Write and maintain unit tests, and performance metrics for automatic testing to ensure the quality of the development
- Demonstrate software to project team members, user representatives and other project stakeholder
- Assist the team with functional and automated testing as required
- Ensure the key stakeholders are kept up to date with progress
- Peer review other team members’ work
- Develop and mentor junior team members
- Promote the visibility of Lhasa within professional networks
- Undertake additional tasks and responsibilities which may be reasonably expected of the role as necessary to achieve the objectives of the Software Delivery Function and company goals
- Plan and schedule work on personal development projects around assignments
- Provide second tier support to applied science when required
- Proactively maintain and improve own professional development by attending workshops, training events, online training, conferences, publications, etc.
Your skills and experience
- Understanding of software application design and architecture
- Understanding of software development methodologies (ideally including an agile methodology such as Scrum or Kanban)
Education and qualifications
- Possess a degree (minimum 2:1 class honours) in a relevant discipline such as Computer Science, Mathematics or Chemistry
- Relevant commercial experience in software development.
- Professionally qualified in software specification and design
Skills and knowledge
You must be able to:
- Develop high-level software engineering skills which are necessary for the creation of robust software
- Analyse problems and devise solutions under supervision
- Adapt designs to changing circumstances and determine appropriate methods of implementation
- Plan/prioritise own work and meet deadlines under pressure
You must have experience of:
- Programming using Java [ideally Java 11+]
- UI development with HTML5, CSS, Typescript [ideally within the Angular 11+ framework]
- Programming interaction with databases using a Java persistency framework
- Writing unit tests
- Using code repositories [ideally Git/BitBucket]
- Using Continuous Integration [ideally Jenkins]
- Using application frameworks such as Spring and SpringBoot
- Using databases [ideally MySQL, Postgres]
- Developing enterprise web solutions (desirable)
- Multithreading & profiling (desirable)
- Selecting appropriate frameworks and technologies to solve problems (desirable)
- Working with microservices and Docker (desirable)
- Using AWS solutions (desirable)
- Excellent teamworking skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to adapt to change
- Supportive, passionate, professional