Senior Scientist (ADMET QSAR)
Closing date: 07 October 2022
About Senior Scientist (ADMET QSAR)
Competitive plus generous benefits package, including:
34 days holiday per year • Health care cash back • Private medical insurance • Discounted gym and retail benefits • 3 x life insurance • annual pay reviews • annual bonuses • travel loans • Employee advice line • Generous pension plan
Lhasa Limited, Granary Wharf House, 2 Canal Wharf, Leeds LS11 5PS, UK
What is the role?
We’re looking for an experienced modeller to join our science team in Leeds. You will be collecting and curating chemical structure and property data and using these to build, evaluate and optimise QSAR models in the ADMET domain, particularly pharmacokinetics and metabolism, which will be embedded in our different software solutions.
Why Lhasa Limited?
We are a successful not-for-profit company and educational charity, with an enviable reputation for collaborative scientific development.
We develop meaningful science and software that supports the delivery of life-enhancing solutions including the development of safe chemicals to market including drugs and cosmetics as well as making a positive contribution to reducing animal testing.
Our charitable status enables us to make altruistic decisions for the public benefit and to work with some of the leading organisations in the world to really make a difference.
Our salaries are competitive dependent upon skills and experience. We also offer fantastic personal benefits including (but not limited to); 34 days holiday plus bank holidays, a generous pension scheme, healthcare cashback, PMI, free car parking at our office in Leeds City Centre and much more!
Do you want to work somewhere where you can have an impact on day one? Do you want to work somewhere you can make a positive impact for yourself and others? If so you're the type of person we are looking for!
- Collate and curate public domain and/or proprietary data relevant to the biological or chemical properties of chemicals.
- Build and document QSAR models to predict these properties based on the selection of appropriate descriptors and algorithms using internal and/or external modelling environments.
- Evaluate the suitability of QSAR models developed by others for new use cases.
- Recommend new descriptors, algorithms and modelling approaches for inclusion in our internal modelling environment.
- Develop internal guidelines for QSAR modelling best practice.
- Train colleagues in QSAR model development.
- Work in multifunctional teams to support the delivery of QSAR models into our different software solutions.
- Present scientific research internally and externally.
- Collaborate directly with internal partners and support collaboration with external partners.
- Represent us within professional networks.
- Proactively maintain and improve your professional development by attending workshops, training events, conferences etc and by presenting your research and writing publications.
- Undertake additional tasks and responsibilities which may be reasonably expected of the role as necessary to achieve the objectives of the team and company goals.
Your skills and experience
- Experience in searching, retrieving and curating scientific data
- Understanding of chemical structure, particularly with respect to structure standardisation and the selection and calculation of descriptors
- Knowledge of QSAR development theory and practices, including underlying algorithms and their assumptions
- Experience of QSAR model development
- Experience in real-world application of QSAR models
- Experience with common public domain QSAR model building environments such as KNIME or Python
- Programming experience in languages such as Python or Java
- Database experience such as schema design and SQL
- Knowledge of relevant scientific domains, particularly pharmacokinetics and metabolism
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and organisational skills
Education and qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant chemical, biological or data science
- PhD or post-doctoral level or equivalent experience in a relevant chemical, biological or data science
- Conscientious with good attention to detail
- A keen analytical mind and a desire to solve problems
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Personable and able to work in teams
- Influencing and negotiating skills
Is this you? Have we caught your eye? To apply send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Don't forget to tell us the position you are applying for and your salary requirements. Good luck!