Closing date: Ongoing
About Scientist (AOP)
Lhasa Limited, Granary Wharf House, 2 Canal Wharf, Holbeck, Leeds LS11 5PS
What is the role?
We are looking for a Scientist to develop knowledge for the assessment of chemical or biological properties of substances within our Science Team.
The role will involve collecting, curating, and analysing data, developing (quantitative) structure-activity relationship (Q)SAR models, or adverse outcome pathways (AOPs) that will be embedded in different solutions developed at Lhasa Limited. The role will focus on the development of AOPs and associated evidence (assays and in silico predictions) relating to the endpoints of Hepatotoxicity, Carcinogenicity, or Developmental and Reproductive Toxicity (DART). This knowledge framework will then be used to help reach conclusions to aid in decision making in this field.
Why Lhasa Limited?
We are a successful not-for-profit company and educational charity, with an enviable reputation for collaborative scientific development.
We develop meaningful science and software that supports the delivery of life-enhancing solutions including the development of safe chemicals to market including drugs and cosmetics as well as making a positive contribution to reducing animal testing.
Our charitable status enables us to make altruistic decisions for the public benefit and to work with some of the leading organisations in the world to really make a difference.
Our salaries are competitive dependent upon skills and experience. We also We also offer fantastic personal benefits including (but not limited to); 34 days holiday plus bank holidays, a generous pension scheme, healthcare cashback, PMI and much more!
Do you want to work somewhere where you can have an impact on day one? Do you want to work somewhere where you can make a positive impact for yourself and others? If so you're the type of person we are looking for!
- Review existing relevant knowledge within public and private sources and convert to the AOP construct, identifying relevant molecular initiating events (MIEs), key events (KEs) and adverse outcomes (AOs)
- Collate and critically analyse data relevant to the biological, chemical, or environmental properties of chemicals
- Identify and interpret trends within data to develop knowledge or algorithms in organic chemistry, metabolism or toxicology that support the enhancement of Lhasa’s solutions
- Apply new and existing methods and models that support product-relevant solutions and the progression of new software features
- Apply reasoning between different pieces of evidence (e.g. combining predictions from different pieces of software)
- Work in multifunctional teams to support the delivery of high quality science into the different solutions developed at Lhasa
- Work both independently and in collaboration with others to produce effective solutions
- Present scientific research within the science team, across the organisation and externally
- Collaborate directly with internal partners and support collaboration with external partners
- Represent Lhasa within professional networks
- Proactively maintain and improve your professional development through increasing your knowledge and understanding in your field of expertise, through attending workshops, training events, conferences etc., through presenting your research, and through writing publications
- Undertake additional tasks and responsibilities which may be reasonably expected of the role as necessary to achieve the objectives of the function and company goals
Your skills and experience
- Domain knowledge in organic chemistry, metabolism, toxicology, or related disciplines
- Experience in searching and retrieving scientific data
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to utilise new intellectual techniques where required
- Ability to identify and interpret structure-activity trends and formulate rules from complex biological or chemical data
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and organisational skills
- Basic domain knowledge in Carcinogenicity, Hepatotoxicity or Developmental and Reproductive Toxicity
- Experience of working in a scientific research or development environment and identifying new approaches/solutions to basic problems within the domain of organic chemistry, metabolism, or toxicology
- Ability to use a range of relevant software solutions in the areas of chemistry or biology. Some knowledge of coding/scripting or using data analytics tools would be useful
- Understanding of chemical representations and descriptors and applying mathematical or statistical methods to them
- Ability to collate, curate and manage large volumes of chemical or biological property data or developing databases
Education and qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant biological or chemical science
- A PhD or Postdoctoral level or equivalent in a relevant biological or chemical science would be advantageous
- Conscientious with good attention to detail
- A keen analytical mind and a desire to solve problems
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Personable and able to work in a small team
- Excellent persuasion and influencing skills within the team
To apply send your CV, salary requirements and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org