Principal Software Developer
Closing date: 09 September 2022
About Principal Software Developer
From £65,000 per anum plus flexible working, 34 holidays plus bank, generous pension scheme and many more great benefits
This role can be based out of our Leeds or Newcastle Office: Granary Wharf House, 2 Canal Wharf, Leeds LS11 5PS OR Hoults Yard, Walker Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 2HL
What is the role?
To provide technical expertise from the design to the delivery of software applications within the Life Sciences domain. The Principal Developer will work within, and across, teams to create and maintain Lhasa’s software products. The Principal Developer will help to produce the technical roadmap and will work collaboratively with key Software Delivery stakeholders to improve product architecture practices and to ensure best tools are utilised to deliver Lhasa’s products most effectively.
As a team member and experienced full stack developer, the Principal Developer will guide architectural decisions, help to coach, mentor and technically lead other members of the Software Delivery function.
The Principal Developer will report to a Software Delivery Team Leader.
Why Lhasa Limited?
We are a successful not-for-profit company and educational charity, with an enviable reputation for collaborative scientific development.
We develop meaningful science and software that supports the delivery of life-enhancing solutions including the development of safe chemicals to market including drugs and cosmetics as well as making a positive contribution to reducing animal testing.
Our charitable status enables us to make altruistic decisions for the public benefit and to work with some of the leading organisations in the world to really make a difference.
Our salaries are competitive dependent upon skills and experience. We also offer fantastic personal benefits including (but not limited to); 34 days holiday plus bank holidays, a generous pension scheme, healthcare cashback, PMI, free car parking at our office in Leeds City Centre and much more!
Do you want to work somewhere where you can have an impact on day one? Do you want to work somewhere where you can make a positive impact for yourself and others? If so you're the type of person we are looking for!
Main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- The design and implementation of software applications and components for use within the Life Sciences domain, including both desktop and web (or cloud) based systems.
- Acting as key technical contact for all product team members, including those external to Software Delivery.
Proactively developing and maintaining best practices and standards to maintain and improve software quality across Software Delivery.
Ensuring that the software development life cycle is followed in accordance with best practices, standards and policies.
Coaching and mentoring Software Delivery team members and actively contributing to the Developer community of practice.
Having a strong focus on learning and continuous improvement, at both the micro and macro levels. Appropriately challenging existing practices.
Identify future state opportunities and keeping up to date with advances in technology, best industry practices, approaches and tools. Utilising these as appropriate to maximize Software Delivery efficiency and effectiveness.
Helping to increase engagement and motivation, and skill levels within Software Delivery and building strong working relationships with key stakeholders.
Proactively identifying problem areas within Software Delivery, and helping to identify and implement appropriate corrective actions.
Ensure that software applications and components are secure through alignment against both our internal standards and member needs.
Ensure that architectural characteristics are considered to satisfy intended software, such as performance, data confidentiality, resilience and scalability.
Collaborate with the Architecture Team and support product architecture.
Produce architectural design documentation for the product solution.
Your skills and experience
We think you'll be great for this role if you have:
Skills and Knowledge
A degree in a relevant discipline
professionally qualified in software specification and design.
If you are professionally qualified in software specification and design this would also be a big advantage.
- A background in software engineering, software design or database design and architecture.
- Good knowledge of software development life cycle in an Agile environment.
- Proven experience in web-application development using the technologies below:
- Java application frameworks such as Spring.
- Relational database.
- Experience of working in continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Experience of working with code repositories such as GIT.
- Experience of writing technical documentation.
- Ability to optimise database query for performance and memory management.
- Ability to use techniques and profiling tools to optimise performance.
- Ability to develop application for a scalable, high-availability environment.
- Good understanding of message queuing systems.
- Good understanding of responsive web-design.
- General understanding in designing for cloud computing such as AWS.
- Proven experience building complex algorithm.
- Desktop application development using the Eclipse/RCP framework would be an advantage.
- Use of NoSQL databases would be an advantage.
- Able to help drive delivery effectively and guide decision making through balancing results, customer needs and quality.
- Proactive, creative and with analytical thinking skills.
- Able to adapt and respond to change.
- Able to work within multidisciplinary teams and independently.
- Interpersonal skills and understanding of team dynamics.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written. Including questioning and negotiating skills.
You should also be able to:
- Drive delivery effectively and guide decision making through balancing results, customer needs and quality.
- Work proactively and creatively, with analytical thinking skills.
- Adapt and respond to change.
- Work within multidisciplinary teams and independently.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and understanding of team dynamics.
- Show strong communication skills, both oral and written. Including questioning and negotiating skills.
Is this you? Have we caught your eye? To apply send your CV to email@example.com. Don't forget to tell us the position you are applying for and your salary requirements, good luck!