Head Of Science
Closing date: Ongoing
To apply for this position please submit your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.orgApply now
About Head Of Science
What is the role?
An exciting opportunity exists for an inspirational leader to help drive Lhasa into new scientific areas by creatively tackling the challenges facing our members through innovation and collaboration. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Head of Science will lead the scientific direction of the company and ensure effective operational delivery through the inspirational management of the science team.
Why Lhasa Limited?
Lhasa Limited is a successful not-for-profit company and educational charity, with an enviable reputation for collaborative scientific development. Our world-leading software and database systems are used globally in the pharmaceutical, cosmetics, chemical, agrochemical and other sectors for the prediction of toxicity, metabolism and degradation. Our continued success means that we now are seeking additional people to work with us in our prestigious head office in the heart of Leeds.
Based in our modern office environment and working alongside exceptionally talented colleagues developing meaningful scientific software that supports the delivery of life-enhancing products which make a positive contribution to a reduction in animal testing.
Our charitable status enables us to make altruistic decisions for the public benefit and to work with some of the leading organisations in the world to really make a difference. Lhasa’s collaborative approach is widely trusted by our member organisations and ensures that we are able to access privileged information helping our people to gain the job satisfaction that arises from working on something special.
Salary will be in the range of £75,000 - £90,000 depending on skills and experience, with a generous pension scheme, 34 days personal holiday allowance plus statutory holidays and extensive training.
Join us if you want your career to make a positive impact for yourself and others.
Educated to PhD level or with equivalent experience in Cheminformatics, Data Science or Predictive Toxicology, you will be able to demonstrate senior leadership and management at an operational level and have a proven track record of delivering results through leadership of highly skilled experts. With excellent communication and interpersonal skills, you will need to confidently represent Lhasa and our vision to both internal and external stakeholders to drive and develop effective collaborations. Knowledge of the application of in silico solutions would be advantageous.
This is a strategic leadership role. The role will utilise and apply technical, functional and industrial knowledge to provide strategic direction for the function in support of organisational objectives. Accountable for the overall management of the function and the delivery of operational objectives through inspirational leadership that drives Lhasa into new areas, creatively tackling the challenges facing our members and applying innovative thought and processes to their resolution.
- Chair the Scientific Advisory Board to establish and agree our scientific strategy;
- Lead a multidisciplinary team of 50 scientists in order to deliver functional objectives;
- Collaborate with and/or commission, scientific research in areas consistent with company strategies and in support of the company’s charitable aims;
- Manage the Science team fostering a team-based culture across the different scientific specialisms, ensuring positive interactions with other functions and with Lhasa members and external collaborators;
- Accountable for the representation and promotion of the scientific interests of the company via the publication of papers, the giving of scientific presentations and by encouraging and identifying opportunities for Lhasa Limited staff to do the same.
- Utilising knowledge of external trends to drive and deliver function strategy and influence Lhasa’s organisational strategy.
- Participating and contributing to shaping our external environment in support of function objectives.
- Highly visible, influential leader and role model within the organisation. Develops a positive leadership culture within the function to drive effective collaborations and deliver solutions.
- Provide direction and leadership to ensure alignment and cohesion of operational activities across the organisation.
- Delivering operational activities and decision-making on behalf of the organisation, identifying opportunities for organisational performance improvement, mitigating threats and challenging existing practices where these are a constraint to progress.
- Accountable for budget development and control within the function ensuring cost benefit analysis of planned activities.
- Accountable for Talent Management, remuneration and employee engagement activities within the function and ensuring consistency across the organisation and the development of skills and expertise within the function to enable current and future objectives to be met.
Your skills and experience
- Broad knowledge of Cheminformatics, Data Science and Predictive Toxicology
- Acknowledged as an external leader in at least one of these areas
- Acknowledged as an external leader in multiple areas (Desirable)
- Experience of applying predictive models and analytical techniques to decision making in an industrial context
- Ability to effectively communicate and articulate Lhasa’s scientific vision and strategy to all stakeholders (scientific and non-scientific) internally and externally
- Broad understanding of the external context in which Lhasa operates and ability to utilise this knowledge to shape the strategy of the organisation
- The ability to understand how Lhasa pursues its charitable aims and how the governance, operating standards and policies expected of a registered charity impact on organisational and function decision making and activities
- Proven ability to lead a function and deliver function level strategic and operational objectives
- Ability to understand how to drive change across the organisation and how the activities of the rest of the organisation impact on the function
- Experience of effective management; including developing and mentoring managers, leaders and technical experts, budget control, cost benefit analysis, change management, performance management & cultural change
- Proven track record of influential role model behaviour and activities both across the organisation and externally
- Proven track record of successfully establishing and driving internal and external collaborations to deliver operational objectives